Friday, December 5, 2014

The Art of Running

I am runner.

I run from places, situations, and ideas. I run from family and friends and loved ones. I run because I feel trapped.

I run to countries I’ve only dreamed of, adventures never imagined, and challenges that change me. I run to intriguing humans who share my view of the world. I run because I want to feel alive.

For some people running is the most cowardly thing you can do. Giving up a life that I created for myself for something new is selfish and irresponsible. For others, running is seen as courageous. Throwing caution to the wind in exchange for the unknown is something to be proud of, to be admired.

I don’t know what the right answer is. All I know is that I am a runner and I wouldn't change it for the world.

In the past two weeks I have traveled to Budapest for one night out with my soul mate. We sang Madonna’s “Like a Prayer” and danced the night away with boys in velvet crop tops. From there I journeyed on to Berlin to celebrate another friend’s birthday. Here we stood in line for the infamous clubs and meandered around German Christmas markets. From there I met yet another nomad in Vienna. The days were spent wandering camera stores and sipping copious amounts of mulled wine. The last stop in my whirlwind Europe trip was Budapest (again). There are some cities that just call to your soul and Budapest sings a song like no other for me. Days on ice skating rinks and in old movie theaters followed by nights in ruins bars made me mourn my goodbye.

Now I have made my way home, well home to Istanbul. My life has come to a standstill for the week and it is bringing the weight of the past four months down on me. When I think back to the person I was before I left I have a hard time remembering her. Travel has a knack for exposing weaknesses and revealing strengths. Whether for good or for bad, one thing is for certain, this trip has changed me.

From here I will make my way to Melbourne, Australia to try out life on the other side of the world. After that the possibilities are endless.

I am running.

I am running from standards and expectations. From a life that slowly drains the soul.

I am running to my dreams, to a life of adventure. I am running because there is so much of this world left to see and so little time to see it.

2 comments:

  1. Runner, L.B.H., Baby Rabies/Breeders, or Fangirl/boy. Everyone on the road falls into one of these categories.

    And then you meet the occasional artist or yoga guru... but they usually are mainly Runners or L.B.H...

    ReplyDelete